Friday, July 27, 2012

Best Class Reflection Ever

            Today's class was fairly interesting. I surprisingly had very little trouble finding North Quad and the specific room in it. I should mention that I had no idea how to use Evernote, Diigo, or Dropbox before today. I also had no idea what they were, or that they even existed. In that sense today's class was useful in helping me learn new useful online tools. My group consisted of myself, Rachel, Rachael, and Mikolaj. We finished decently fast, but that doesn't mean we didn't learn anything or that our presentations were bad. Everybody gave in depth looks into their subjects, and we all learned a lot from everyone's individual presentations.
            My presentation was about Skype. I personally had never used Skype before setting up my account last night. My groups seemed to find it strange that I had never used Skype, and they all had previous accounts. Since they all had Skype already my presentation was shortened, because I didn't have to give them an in depth look at how to set up Skype. I felt as though my explanations of how to use it were also kind of useless to the others, because they all had prior in depth knowledge on Skype. I still did my presentation, but there's no way it was of any use to those who I was presenting to because they already were familiar with Skype.
            We all emailed each other our paper explanations so that we could view what the others were saying as they said it. Again, everyone was well prepared to discuss their topic amongst the group. I ended up downloading and making an Evernote account, a Diigo account, and Dropbox as well.
            To end class the teacher talked for about 45 minutes. She discussed the importance of the subjects that we covered. Also, she had us join a secondary mac group on Diigo. Also Google + was briefly mentioned and after class the other Matt mentioned that there was something strange about my google +. If you end up reading this could you comment on what was up with my goolge + account and blog, other Matt? It was kind of hard to understand but what I gathered was that there was another persons stuff, with pumpkin drawings and stuff, linked to me and my blog through google + somehow. Though I'm not good with technology so I do not quite understand exactly what he was talking about. 

7 comments:

  1. Hi - I'm a newbie to Google+ myself, but holler if I can help. Also, I'd love to know more, as you flesh out this blog post, about what features appealed to you most of all about any/all of the tools! KF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you perhaps define "flesh out"? Tools for google + that appeal or Skype?

      Delete
  2. WHOA, sorry to be that person again, but I can't believe you haven't used Skype. I'm interested what your opinions were about it?! Do you think you will ever use it in the classroom/or in general now that you know about it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I just don't know why that is so unbelievable. I can not really honestly say that I can see myself using it in a classroom unless their is extreme circumstances. Like a student travels to another State and still wants to see class. I used windows live messenger to talk with my wife when she was in China so I have video chatted online before, just not with Skype. I like the windows Live more than Skype honestly, is Live old school?

      Delete
  3. Yeah man, actually I posted about it just now and then read this . .

    Soooo, Rayhan and I are in the same blogging cohort as is Matt Pierson. When Kristin was showing us Google Reader we decided to subscribe to all of the people's blogs in our cohort. Rayhan was then checking out the content from her subscription on google reader and when she went over the stuff from Matt Pierson's blog she found some stuff that wasn't on his blog. When she clicked the link to it it took her to Pierson's blog but had a date of 2010 (well before he created his blog) and it said content not available. The mystery content were drawings of little green neighborhoods and people with pumpkin heads. Just silly stuff.

    I asked Matt P and he said he had no idea what that stuff was. SOooo, I figured that there must have been a blogspot with the same domain name as his that existed before his but was since deleted (Made by some other person that liked drawing pumpkins). Somehow, Google reader can still summon this content.

    I'm not really sure how I feel about this. Actually I am sure. That shouldn't be happening. I wonder if Google reader is aware of this. Probably they are.

    Just goes to show the world wide web is a crazy place and sometimes things happen that shouldn't. Mysteries abound. Glitches happen. Just thought it was interesting."

    You can probably see the pumpkins if you subscribe to your own blog on google reader. Also, Kristin, if you read this, I was curious to hear what you think of this. Is this common?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never utilized Skype either. I am familiar with it but I do not have a Skype account. I probably have one up on you, I also do not have a Facebook account. I am SURE you probably have one of those. If I were presenting on Skype in your group, and everyone was already familiar with the application, I would have turned it into a discussion where everyone could share what is there favorite thing that they like about Skype and perhaps what is something that they wish Skype had. I would also ask how Skype compares to other online video conferencing programs. There is always some type of learning to take place whether or not people are familiar with the tool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also find it odd that you have never used Skype. I have spent a significant amount of time living in Europe and Asia so within those social circles Skype is an absolute necessity. I use it at least once a week to talk with my friends around the world. It is also a good tool for me to practice the languages I have learned while abroad. I hope to one day use Skype to conference call an old class of mine. It would be really exciting and beneficial to all.

    ReplyDelete