Monday, July 23, 2012

Class Reflection

            I could not make the class, but I have talked with fellow students to see what I missed. From what I understand the class met at the Duderstadt center where they split into two groups. One group met with a speaker who discussed how he used angry birds in the classroom, by having students set up catapults and do a real life version for trajectory in math. This got me wondering, how useful is this in teaching the students? Did they actually learn the content? Well, either way I'm sure it was fun.
            The student I was talking to also told me that a  paper was handed out with certain symbols on it and asked for them to try and figure out what it meant. This student showed me the paper itself to help me understand, and I had no idea what it meant. I take it that this activity was meant to show us how sometimes students might not be able to understand our own content area, it's essentially like a foreign language to them so we should be understanding
            From what I understand in the other part of class they set up a sort of profile, though I do not remember the actual name of the website itself. I think this would be useful for looking for a job, based on what I saw (the student showed me the website). This day sounded like it was fun and it's too bad that I could not make it.

4 comments:

  1. This was a pretty good day in class, it was a shame you couldn't be there!

    That being said, I think first, the students in the former MACer's class DEFINITELY learned. I know that when i'm personally enjoying myself when i'm in class, I'll retain the information much easier. Having a mock debate or singing a song are both ways that students could be engaged, and enjoying themselves.

    And that paper i think had a deeper meaning. If learning were like a video games, students would, yes, be challenged, but it would be fun and they would keep going. In this task, we saw how a student could be puzzled by something, yet still have the desire to go on.

    Hope you can make the next class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - Welcome back! Just a gentle reminder that the handouts from class are in CTools and that you were asked to catch up using the handouts to make your portfolio at Weebly.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thrilled to hear about your lack of participation and your critical review of the guest speaker!

    But really, I thought the exercise using trajectory was most interesting. Putting abstract equations into physical practice is extremely beneficial and great at engaging the youthful mind. I personally do not see a connection to technology as Angry Birds is merely a game that also uses trajectory. The lesson could have been billed as just about anything pertaining to trajectory.

    Depending on how the exercise was completed, the math of trajectory could have easily been practiced and implemented. I would have performed the exercise in a class or two, but the speaker seemed to have taken a much longer time. All in all, it sounded fun and affective, but not necessarily connected to technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also missed this class due to a conference that I attended for the Woodrow Wilson Fellows. The conference was in Ohio. It’s too late now, but K, our instructor recorded the class from 7/20 if you wanted to get more detail about what went on. Jeff’s session, unfortunately, was not recorded. For some reason I want to say that the sheet of symbols that was sent out contained emoticons. And yes, it is a language in and of itself. Especially since it is constantly being created. Just as soon as I think I am up on the abbreviations, I learn that there is something else out there. Really there is no way to stay up on the latest abbreviations because it is a form of creative & self-expression. Being able to decode it often determines your place in the group. It’s like having your own secret language sometimes. If you are not part of the group you will not understand the symbols.

    ReplyDelete